- 4 oz Bruegger’s Pumpkin cream cheese*
- 8 oz pasta (penne or other tubed pasta)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves, divided
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water, drain pasta, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot and sizzling, add the flour, then whisk constantly until it turns a golden color and smells nutty.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Pour the milk in slowly, constantly whisking to remove any clumps. Increase the heat to medium high, then let cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the pumpkin, pumpkin cream cheese, half of the chopped sage leaves, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne. Continue whisking until the cream cheese melts and you have a smooth, rich sauce. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan and gently toss to combine. Thin the pasta with a bit of the reserved pasta water as needed if it seems too thick or sticky. Serve immediately, topped with Parmesan and the remaining sage.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese & Sage Pasta Recipe by Daily Cup of Asheejojo blog.
At Bruegger’s, we’re known for our kettle-cooked bagels and Vermont cream cheese. But we’re also on a quest to provide our guests with menu items that push the culinary boundaries. This recipe features signature staples available only at Bruegger’s Bagels, and hand-crafted with a creative twist that may be made easily at home. So, next time you stop by Bruegger’s for your morning coffee and bagel, grab a tub of cream cheese and a few extra bagels to create one of these masterpieces at home.
*Cream cheese flavor available only for a limited time.