For the Gingerbread
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tsp candied ginger, minced
- 3/4 cup Grandma's dark molasses
- 3/4 cup water
For the Glaze
- 1-3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp ginger ale
- 1 tsp ground ginger
“My mom has made this every holiday. At 83, she still makes and ships to me every year! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have for many years, and that it will bring you happy memories of holidays past and present. Happy Holidays!”
Robert Kabakoff, Bruegger’s Bagels Chef
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly pan spray two bread loaf pans.
- Whisk together the first four ingredients in a bowl and reserve.
- Melt the butter over medium high heat until completely melted. Stir in the next four ingredients. Cook until you can smell the spices. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, and candied ginger in a large bowl until frothy. Stir in the melted butter with the spices, molasses, and water until just combined. Whisk in the reserved flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan-sprayed loaf pans and gently tap on the counter to release any trapped bubbles. Place the filled bread pans into the oven on the center racks and bake for approximately 30 minutes or when a toothpick is inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Then remove carefully from the pans and place on a cooling rack with a pan under the rack.
- Let the loaves cool completely.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, ginger ale, and ground ginger until smooth. Pour the glaze over the cooled gingerbread loaves. Let the glaze set for 20 minutes.
- Store the glazed gingerbread loaves at room temperature for up to two days in an airtight container.
- Enjoy and Happy Holidays!