- 8 Everything bagels cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1-1/2 lbs spicy Italian turkey sausage
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion, finely diced
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 stick butter
- 1 pinch of cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2-1/2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven at 325°F.
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ deep baking dish with pan spray.
- Melt the stick of butter in the microwave.
- Cut the bagels into coins, spread evenly on a large cookie sheet and place in the oven for 30 minutes to make bagels into dry bagel “croutons.”
- Cut the sausage into small pieces. Brown this off separating the sausage meat with a wooden spoon … you will need to keep separating the sausage as it will tend to clump together.
- Once browned, remove the sausage from the frying pan and reserve on one side. Using the same pan, sauté off the diced onion, apple and celery, until the onions is translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients to thoroughly mix.
- Pour the broth over the mixed ingredients and stir gently to mix but do not break up the bagel pieces. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Turn the mixture to ensure the stock lightly soaks all the bagels, add more broth if needed- the stuffing should be moist, with bagel chunks remaining.
- Spoon the stuffing into the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for approx. 30 minutes until golden brown.
Click here for more delicious recipes made with Bruegger’s own kettle-cooked bagels & Vermont cream cheese. Craft your own culinary creation today!