- 1 tub Bruegger's Pumpkin cream cheese*
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 tbsp olive oil (reserve 1/2 tbsp for frying sage)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 5 sage leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch of chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large sauce pan or dutch oven. Add shallots and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree and cream cheese, stir until smooth, cooking for a minute.
- Turn the heat down to medium low. Pour in the vegetable stock, add cayenne pepper and paprika (and chili pepper flakes, if using), and simmer for 15-20 minutes until smooth is thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small frying pan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Fry up the sage leaves for about 30-45 seconds on each side, then transfer to a cutting board and chop finely.
- Pour soup into individual bowls and garnish with crispy sage. Serve with bread or crackers.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe by Bianca of Confessions of a Chocoholic blog.
At Bruegger’s, we’re known for our kettle-cooked bagels and Vermont cream cheese. But we’re also on a quest to provide our guests with menu items that push the culinary boundaries. This recipe features signature staples available only at Bruegger’s Bagels, and hand-crafted with a creative twist that may be made easily at home. So, next time you stop by Bruegger’s for your morning coffee and bagel, grab a tub of cream cheese and a few extra bagels to create one of these masterpieces at home.
*Cream cheese flavor available only for a limited time.